The First Branch of the Southern India Regional Council of ICAI in Kerala, the Ernakulam Branch, was set up on 1st December 1967. It is the largest Branch in the State with more than 2300 members and more than 8000 students. It has the privilege of being the first Branch of the Institute to construct its own building which was inaugurated in August 1986. At present it is the 3rd largest branch in South India.
Ernakulam Branch has been adjudged as the Best Branch, Most Active Branch and awarded Shields both at Central as well as at Regional level. The Branch has also been actively engaged in conducting various activities for students, like organizing coaching classes, quiz etc.. It is pertinent to record that the Decentralised Office at Ernakulam was also set up due to the larger strength of Membership in the jurisdiction of Ernakulam Branch which take care of the needs of the members and students. Ernakulam being one of the Decentralised branches under SIRC, facilities are available at the branch to register for Common Proficiency Test (CPT - CA Entrance Exam) and IPCC, to avail and submit application forms for IPCC and Final exams and other student services. It also caters to the needs of the members by accepting Membership Renewal Fees.
Also opened a new State wise Store Point and Sales Counter, providing Institute's publications, study material, suggested answers to the questions of the Institute exams, Revision Test Papers, Prospectus cum application forms of CPT, IPCC and Final Courses. The Branch has also a new well furnished A/C Computer Lab to conduct 100hrs Information Technology Course for students.
FACILITIES AVAILABLE AT THE BRANCH
- Office, located in the center of Ernakulam City, easily accessible by road and rail.
- Contact and Information facilities available by telephones, e-mail, fax and website.
- Regular Coaching Classes and Intensive Revision Classes, including special classes by Faculty from Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad & Coimbatore.
- Fully furnished class rooms with modern audio-visual study aids like LCD, OHP etc.
- Air conditioned Auditorium and Conference Hall.
- Well stocked and fully furnished Library and Reading room
- Modernized and air conditioned Computer Center with full time faculty to run the Information Technology Training (ITT) Course.
- State wise Store Point And Sales Counter, providing Institute's publications, study material, suggested answers to the questions of the Institute exams, Revision Test Papers, Prospectus cum application forms of CPT, IPCC and Final Courses.
The Branch has the following recognition / merit at its credit:
- The Best Branch of the Institute - 1986
- Most Active Branch of the SIRC - 1994
- Commendation Award - 1995
- Active Branch Award - 1996 to 1999
- Highly Commended Performance Award 2001
- The Best Branch Award - SIRC - 2005
- The Best Branch Award (All India) - 2007 , 2008 , 2010, 2011 & 2017
- Highly Commended Performance Award 2009 & 2012, 2014,2015
The First Branch to receive Accreditation for conducting classes for Professional Education I &I (PE-I &PE-II ) .The branch offers excellent opportunities for the students, with regular coaching classes arranged for
- Common Proficiency Test (Foundation Course / PE-I )
- Integrated Professional Competency Course
- Final Examination
Classes are handled by experienced and expert Faculty consisting of Chartered Accountants, Lawyers & Professors. The branch has maintained an excellent success rate in the Institute's Exams over the years.
- The First Branch in Kerala to receive Accreditation for conducting 250 hrs Compulsory Computer Training (C.C.T.P) / Information Technology Training. The courses conducted for Compulsory Computer Training (C.C.T.P) / Information Technology Training (I.T.T) and General Management and Communication Skills (GMCS) for students and Information Systems Audit (ISA) for Members are greatly appreciated by aspirants from all over Kerala and adjacent states.
The branch has a very active wing of SICASA (Southern India Chartered Accountants Students' Association) bagging the Best Branch Award of Students Association of Institute by ICAI continuously and many time for at Regional level. This is the 15th year in succession the Ernakulam Branch of SICASA has won the All India Best Branch Award. Seminars / Workshops / Talks and such value addition programmes are conducted every month by SICASA. It has also organized various National and Regional Conferences. Sports & Games, Cultural Competitions, Picnics etc are conducted annually as extra curricular activities. The Ernakulam Branch of SICASA organizes classes for students ( For PCC/IPCC -Intensive and Final - Regular) and organizes trips and tours to important factories and industrial organizations and also to places of historical and education importance.
The Branch has actively participated in the initiatives taken by the Central and State Government to make use of the services of Chartered Accountants.
A few of the steps taken are:
- Conversion of Local Body Accounts to Double Entry System and engagement of Chartered Accountants to conduct to conduct Local Body Audits.
- Audit of Co-operative Societies, Co-operative Banks and other Institutions by Chartered Accountants.
- Utilization of the services of Chartered Accountants in the functioning of State and Central Governments, particularly in State Electricity Boards, Water Authority.
- Associating with Central and State Governments in the pre-budget discussions / preparation.